Honeymoon Like a Stark at these Game of Thrones Filming Locations
Aside from the wedding day, another beautiful moment that couples look forward to is their honeymoon. The honeymoon is the time to unwind, explore new territories, meet new people, enjoy local delicacies, learn about history and embrace different cultures.
Some honeymoon spots have been labeled cliché since they have been visited by generations of newlyweds. The Caribbean, Hawaii Tahiti, and Mexico are a few of these tried-and-true destinations. These top honeymoon spots for are great for some many reasons but there are also untapped and unexplored spots where you can enjoy your honeymoon.
At the top of our list of unique destinations are some of the locations for Game of Thrones series. Filming took place in North Ireland, Malta, Morocco, Croatia, Spain, The US, Scotland, and Iceland. I will provide a deeper dive into 3 of these destinations (North Ireland, Croatia, and Scotland).
North Ireland is a fascinating location for GoT lovers and movie producers alike.
- Known as the headquarters of all the other locations, most of the scenes in Game of Thrones are shot in North Ireland. Here you will find the Kingsroad (also known as the Dark Hedges) and is the path Arya took while fleeing from Kings Landing after the execution of her father, Ned Stark.
- The famous Winter fell House also known as Castle Ward is situated here.
- The North’s forest where Ned Stark found the baby wolves, is the same forest where Ramsay Bolton chased after Theon Greyjoy, and that is the Tollymore Forest Park.
- Downhill Beach (Dragonstone beach) where Melisandre, the red priestess of the Lord of Light burnt the Seven Idols of Westeros.
- Cushendun Cave is another spot you shouldn’t miss! It is the place where The Red Priestess Melisandre birthed the Shadow Baby that she sent to kill Renly Baratheon.
- The scene where Theon Greyjoy met his sister for the first time was shot at Pyke Harbor.
- The House of Greyjoy is located at the Dunluce Castle.
Croatia is another beautiful location in which the series was filmed.
- Iron Bank, Queen Cersei’s walk of shame was filmed in Croatia, at St. Dominic/Dominika Street. This same street is where many market scenes take place, not to forget the killings of King Robert Baratheon’s Bastards, as ordered by King Joffrey Baratheon.
- Croatia is the home to Kings landing, and this is because of the ancient and Medieval walls in the city of Dubrovnik.
- The famous and most sought-after throne, the Iron Throne is also here.
- You can visit The Red Keep (the place Cersei went after her walk of shame and was carried by the giant masked king’s guard Ser Robert Strong).
- You will also find the Ethnographic Museum, which served as the brothel where Oberyn met Tyrion Lannister.
Last but not least there is Iceland, the land of fire and ice.
- The fight between The Hound and Brienne of Tarth for Arya’s freedom was filmed at Thingvellir National Park (A UNESCO World Heritage Site) in Iceland.
- Grjótagjá is the cave Giyette and Jon Snow went to have their intimate moments.
- The Nights Watch scenes were also filmed here.
Imagine creating awesome memories with your beloved in any of these mesmerizing and enchanting locations. Visiting these places are a dream come through for so many lovers and fans of the Game of Thrones Series. Just like it is when folks visit Jerusalem, and they see some of the places mentioned in the Bible, it births a sense of belonging in that story.
Your trip could also include a visit the home of the good family of The Starks, Winterfell as well as the exact waterfall where Khaleesi Daenerys Stormborn Targaryen and Jon Aegon Targaryen (Snow) flew the two dragons (Rhaegal and Drogon). These and so much more are what we plan to show you on your honeymoon.
With this Game of Thrones-themed honeymoon vacation, we plan to transport you from being just a viewer of the series, but a huge part of the series, as you’d be able to see everywhere behind the screen.
Let’s make your dream of unique honeymoon a reality with the beauty, and the richness of North Ireland, Croatia, and Iceland, the homes of Game Of Thrones.
for more information, questions, comments, please email jim@Perfecthoneymoons.com, or call (619) 962-6041